Saturday, February 23, 2008

wookin' pa nub

Simple Rules for Drama-Free Living:
1. Don't hook up with people your friends have hooked up with
1a. Also tricky territory hooking up with people your friends like
2. Don't hook up with the friends of people you've hooked up with
3. Don't hook up with people you work with (or your roommates)
4. Don't hook up with people you know like you but you don't actually like
5. If someone cheats on someone else with you, they will cheat on you (98% of the time)
6. You can't make someone love you and you can't dictate who you love

By definition, repeating the same action and expecting a different result is insanity.

Since my freshman year in college I have found, through the very scientific method of personal observation, that by following the preceding rules you can avoid all the guy/girl drama that I find to be just too taxing/annoying. And I have followed them somewhat religiously; I very often write off someone I might otherwise find attractive due to said rules. So, 10 years after enacting these rules where does this leave me? Well, I've not offended any of my friends (at least, not unintentionally), I'm amicable with everyone and theirs exes and in general, have done a pretty good job staying on the periphery of late night tear-soaked screaming matches and difficult conversations.

There are incidents in our lives that change our perspectives, for better or worse. Throughout our lives we are constantly growing (we hope) and learning from our experiences. If things aren't working in a way that you want them to, what's to say you can't just completely change what you're doing? Why not start again with a different set of parameters?

In the past 10 years while I have been doing my best to not hurt those around me, I have still not succeeded in protecting myself from getting hurt. While it is an impossibility to think that we can go through life unscathed, you would think that avoiding big drama would equate to avoiding big heartache...but it doesn't.

Now what? In many ways I think that although these rules have served their purpose - especially in a close-knit living situation like college - that they are also allowing me to avoid putting myself out there. Love is a big, messy, wonderful, horrible, surreal, fabulous ride and I've always been scared to take the reigns. My rules have provided me the perfect excuse to be able to stay in line and never have to give my ticket to the carny.

By breaking the rules I might make things a whole lot more complicated...but may also shake things up enough to bring on some new adventures in my life. And I'm always game for new adventure.

At this point, what do I have to lose?


Song of the Day: Hands Clean - Alanis Morissette

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...in all the wrong places, wookin' pa nub! Isn't that from Buckwheat's love songs album (as interpreted by Eddie Murphy)?