Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Bringing back the radio star

Why is it that you occasionally hear a song that you’ve not heard in several years and then it seems as though you hear it all the time? I realize that current songs are on ‘heavy’ and ‘light rotation’ (volunteering at the radio station in college pays off after all!) and there are always a few random DJ choices/requests that are thrown in the mix.

Then there’s what my brothers and I call ‘five year rotation’ where it seems a song will be played again fairly frequently about 5 years after it first came out. I’m not sure if this is intentional (that volunteering only got me so far) or because someone hears the song and then remembers it and decides to request it, thus repeating the same cycle so it stays around for a few weeks.

Sometimes there is a song that isn’t in any kind of rotation, and yet you seem to hear it frequently enough to notice. On the radio; on someone's mix cd; on random online streaming; in an ad, etc. I often wonder if this is coincidence or if maybe I should listen to what is trying to be conveyed to me. One of my roommates frequently likes to remind me: “You know, for someone so logical you are extremely superstitious”. While she was saying this directly in regards to my extreme sports-watching rituals I think it also has application in this instance.

It is said that the universe will tell you what you need to know, if you take the time to listen. How do I know if I’m listening or just manifesting something inside myself that thinks I am being told something? Or is that the same thing?

Song of the Day: Desperado - The Eagles

No comments: