Thursday, March 27, 2008

Internet killed the t.v. star

I am often that person who feels that tv provides little to enhance the human experience; that the scattered few years I have lived 'without' tv (bunny ears and a few static channels) were more fulfilling than with. That I don't need television to provide me with entertainment and I am capable of entertaining myself. That although some use t.v. as a crutch to connect with others I am able to find commonality elsewhere.

This is not to say I don't enjoy the incredible channel diversity currently offered by my satellite package...but even with over 100 channels the only things I watch regularly are the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. Seriously. And I can get those on the internet...so do I really need to subscribe to cable? Is it really providing me anything additional that I can't get elsewhere?

Today on the bus I overheard a few people discussing McCain's version of his Obama Girl...and one guy who hadn't seen it yet said "well, you're the third person to tell me about it, so now I'm gonna go check it out." This made me wonder: has the internet become our new common ground?

With the advent of TiVo and various internet sources to watch shows, there is no longer that next day water cooler discussion of last night's show...often you hear "oh, it's on my TiVo - don't tell me yet!" - so rather than providing a shared experience, it instead becomes more isolating - you watch what you want when you want, and you don't want others playing spoiler.

Even I, the self-professed anti-tv idealist can't resist the internet...and I would never consider that a waste of time, even though I have often been up way later than I originally intended doing nothing more than watching YouTube...if it is something I personally chose to watch rather than mindless channel surfing does that really mean it is better?

Is new media considered better because it offers personal entertainment choices or just because it is the latest new media? Does our new-found 'shared experience' do anything more than make us more isolated?

oh - and as far as my attempt as eavesdropping while listening to headphones? I'm guessing they mean the McCain Mama...

Song of the Day - You Can't Do That On Television theme song

No comments: