Monday, March 31, 2008

paved in good intentions

It seems that throughout the day and week I have many thoughts on subjects that would inevitable make wonderfully insightful and profound blogs. Problem is once I actually get to a computer, all those wonderful thoughts seem to get zapped by the likes of facebook, gmail, kayak, hokiesports, etc.

How is this possible? How can something that seemed to make so much sense to me be so easily erased by my ADD web distractions? Does anyone else always have at least 5 browsers open simultaneously? How can it already be 1am when I got into bed at 11pm?

If the original intent of this blog was to make me work on my writing, it is certainly demonstrating that creating any kind of cohesive piece is not as easy as I thought. I figured all these subject-driven thoughts and analytical zeitgeists would easily flow from the recesses of my brain to the computer screen. I certainly seem to have enough to keep me occupied while I'm on the bus.

Perhaps it is that half zoned-out stage where your mind wanders that is the best for creativity. My problem is finding some longevity for these internal manifestos.

In the age of technology, maybe my best solution is to start carrying a moleskine and jotting down at least some phrases to remind me of my subject matter. In so many ways I have things I need to do that never seem to get done. Let's add this one to the list.

Maybe I need to take a lesson from Yoda and finally have memorizing all the Stars Wars movies pay off in some way: "Do or do not. There is no try."

Song of the Day: Star Wars Cantina - Richard Cheese

No comments: