Saturday, July 26, 2008

Why fi?

It's amazing to me how many wireless connections you can find, even in an assumed insular place such as a single-family home.

Now, I am all for ease of access to the internet. I love that I can occasionally find a park that provides internet service, I love free-loading when I'm travelling, and I love that when my connection to my secured network isn't working for some reason I can poach an unsecured connection from my neighbors.

My question is; what is this doing to us, if anything? Is the fact that I am being radiated by wireless networks (3 on full power, 2 on half power) sitting here in my bed having any effect other than computer convenience?

I have studied negative long-tern environmental effects too long not to be somewhat paranoid. Cancer is too prevalent in my family not to be somewhat paranoid.

That being said, I also don't feel strongly enough (yet) to look into the strength of the WiFi waves, or if they are that extremely different from any other waves we are constantly bombarded with...television, AM, FM, cell phones.

It just seems that there has been no second thought to the health ramifications; there has been more chatter lately of the impacts of high cell phone usage but never any mention of long-term Wi-Fi exposure. Maybe it is too new to have the results of any studies. Or maybe it is another form of survival of the fittest; as our environment changes (whether through the natural world or our own changes) only those who have the molecular structure to stay healthy will survive long-term.

Song of the Day: Too much information - Duran Duran

No comments: