Wednesday, April 16, 2008

An open letter for Hokie Nation

I wrote this earlier today and sent it out via email to my fellow Hokies. However, I have decided to post it on here in the hopes that it may provide some small comfort for those who happen upon it that I don't know. GO HOKIES. We will prevail.

To my fellow Hokies,

While I'm not sure that my bumbling words have the ability to bring to you any comfort, I feel that today of all days it is important to reach out to the members of Hokie Nation and offer a greeting; a virtual hug, hello, and smile to those in my Hokie Family.

It was one year ago today that our University, as we knew it, was launched into the worldwide spotlight as a place of horror and tragedy. Thinking back on the day and ensuing weeks I am reminded of the flood of emotions that hit me, and continue to shape my memories and actions. Disbelief, fear, relief, sadness, loss, and pride are some that come to mind.

Disbelief that this could happen at a place I so cherish and venerate. The campus of Virginia Tech is in my memory as one of the best places in the world - how could this be happening there? As the death toll continued to climb, I couldn't believe that this was the same place that I love, that these were students and teachers going about their business in the same way since I was there.

Fear that strangers would no longer think of my Alma Mater as a great research institution, football powerhouse, or producer of some of the most well-rounded and good people I know. That we would be known as the place of tragedy and loss. Blacksburg is so much more than a place of sadness and breaking headlines.

Relief that it was not I who was there. Part of the tragedy of the day is the loss of so many hopeful, wonderful lives of people who were no different than you or I. It very easily could have been us sitting in that classroom, and the best I can do to honor those who have passed away is to to value the life I have, and be glad for every day that I am here.

Sadness that this happened at all. Death is never welcome, but for that inevitable end to occur through such senseless and wasteful means makes me feel something more numbing than sadness. The incomprehensible slaughter of innocent people, of my Hokie Family, is not something that will soon leave me, if ever.

Loss for those thirty-two people. Think about how many lives you touch, of how many ways you interact with the world around you. Now imagine the impact if you erase your piece of light from the world, and multiply that loss by 32. I feel as though there is a hole in the fabric of Hokie Nation. We cannot let that hole define us, yet nor should we ignore it. It is now part of who we are, of who we will be moving forward, and we need recognize and remember that loss that it may inspire us to be better. Let us make up for that hole by shining a littler brighter ourselves.

Pride in my fellow Hokies. As I watched every bit of coverage, and read every possible online article for all my waking hours the entire week following April 16th of last year, I was incredibly touched and proud of the students on campus. In the maelstrom of media that descended upon the sanctity of their campus, they conducted themselves with poise and grace. I can remember watching CNN, I think Larry King Live, and Larry was trying to get an inkling of blame; a scapegoat to create a bigger story - and every student interviewed placed no blame, and instead focused on the tragic, unpredictable nature of the event, and the healing that was needed to move forward. At one point I remember pumping my first in the air triumphantly and rather loudly exclaiming "I F'ING LOVE HOKIES!". At more than 2,500 miles away, these students brought me comfort. They were a glimpse into the current Virginia Tech life and they brought me happiness when I needed it most. If these are the people of our future, I very much look forward to tomorrow.

In the past year, I have worn Virginia Tech logo gear with greater pride than ever. I have hardly taken my ring off, and haven't taken it off at all since I forgot it at home the day of the BC game (yes, really, I'm still not over that) - I wear it to sleep, shower, play sports, go to the beach, etc. All times when I would have previously removed it, and I think about those 32 when I would normally take it off. I figure the least I can do is wear my ring when 32 people no longer even have the ability to do that. My tan line serves as a memory in their honor.

In the days and weeks following April 16, 2007 I was hugged by more random strangers in VT gear - and it was wonderful and says more about the common loss we all feel than my few words will ever be able to properly articulate.

So, I offer this to you, my fellow Hokies - keep the memory of our 32 lost in your heart, and use it to make yourself stronger and the world around you better. Greet others wearing VT Hokie gear with a "Go Hokies!" regardless of where you are or whether you are wearing any yourself. And on every April 16th, give your fellow Hokies a hug, even if you don't yet know them. It will mean so much to you both.

I hope you are all doing well in your respective parts of the world, and my thoughts are with you today.

BIG HUG (if only the warmth of a hug was able to properly be conveyed via internet)

No comments: